The WCT Peanut/Nut Policy is designed to help provide a safe learning environment for everyone diagnosed with life-threatening peanut/nut allergies, and to raise the awareness of all members of the WCT community regarding severe allergies.
People suffering from peanut/nut allergies may suffer severe medical responses to exposure to these allergens. Anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock, is a systemic allergic reaction that can be fatal within minutes.
We acknowledge that due to food processing practices and other actions over which we have no control, it is impractical to eliminate nuts or nut products entirely from an environment where there is food. Therefore, we have opted to be a Nut Aware community. While our goal is to strive to be a nut-free space to the extent possible,parents/congregants need to be aware that it is impossible for us to create a completely nut-free environment.
- a.Peanuts/nuts and foods containing peanuts/(including peanut paste, Nutella, cooking oil containing peanut oil, as well as foods containing nuts) ARE NOT ALLOWED ANYWHERE IN WCT.
- b.Congregants will be advised to read labels on all foods before bringing or sending them in to WCT to identify peanut/nut ingredients “hidden” in foods to keep them out of the temple.
- c.Notices of pot-luck and other similar events will include a reminder that no peanuts/nuts or food containing peanuts/nuts are allowed to be brought to the temple or included in any dishes.
- d.The building use contract will be amended so that caterers may not serve peanuts/nuts or foods containing peanuts/nuts in the temple.
- e.The School Board and Temple Educator will develop procedures for implementing this policy in the religious school.
- f.The Peanut/Nut Policy will be communicated to the congregation each year, and the policy will be posted on the WCT website.